How Spirituality Can Help in Addiction Treatment
According to New York University, Medical Center, spirituality is the part of a person that seeks higher meaning in order to rise above their suffering. This is a concept that eastern philosophy has embraced for thousands of years. For years, western doctors and spiritualists have operated separately to the detriment of people suffering from addictions and mental illness. Recently this has been changing as research into addiction continues to progress beyond the point of simply giving drugs to treat a drug addiction.
Addiction as a Disease of the Mind, Body, and Spirit
Addiction, once considered by western addiction specialists as a disease of the body, is considered a disease of the whole person. Although this concept has been a part of eastern and Native American philosophy for generations, it is just now being put into practice in more modern addiction treatment facilities.
Many addicts describe a hole or emptiness inside that they use drugs to fill. This emptiness is present in many people who suffer from addiction. Many cultures and doctors believe that this hole is created by a lack of spiritual wellbeing and only by embracing spirituality can this hole be filled.
What is Spirituality?
When many people hear the term spirituality they think of religion. These two are separate. Religion is an organized form of spirituality with a variety of rules and teachings. Basic spirituality is the search for higher meaning and understanding of the spiritual world around them. Spirituality and religion are not mutually exclusive.
How Addiction Treatment and Spirituality Work Together
Addiction treatment can include spirituality and training in spiritual pursuits. The concept of spirituality works with addiction treatment many ways. A few of these ways are:
- It turns people away from seeking to fill the void with drugs and towards filling it with self improvement and self empowerment.
- It helps those who are suffering from addiction focus their thoughts and minds. This helps to beat cravings and withdrawal symptoms by using the mind instead of returning to drugs.
- It gives people who practice it clarity and acuity. This allows people to analyze their behavior and make changes according to their self desires rather than the desire for the drug.
- It increases a sense of meaning which many addicts are lacking. Spiritual pursuits give people purpose and direction in many cases.
- It helps addicts empathize with those around them and share their thoughts and feelings in a more productive manner.
- It allows people to clear their mind and body so that they can work on beating cravings and stopping the addictions.
These are not the only ways that spiritual practice and beliefs can help with addiction treatment. Each person is different and spirituality is a very individual practice and belief.
How to Find a Treatment Center that Uses Spirituality in their Treatment of Addiction
You can find a treatment center that uses both spirituality and traditional addiction treatments by calling us at 1-800-895-1695. We can help you find the addiction center that will treat your mind, body, and spirit.